What To Look Out For…
Scammers will use every trick in the book to get you to part with your cash including:
- You have won a lottery, sweepstake or competition… BUT YOU HAVE TO SEND MONEY
- Money you have won is being held in a holding company… BUT YOU HAVE TO SEND MONEY
- Somebody has left you an inheritance… BUT YOU HAVE TO SEND MONEY
- A clairvoyant can stop bad luck or direct good luck towards you… BUT YOU HAVE TO SEND MONEY
- There is a “secret” deal which will make you rich… BUT YOU HAVE TO SEND MONEY
Scammers send out catalogues selling food, pills, potions, jewellery, clothes, items for home and garden. They guarantee a prize to those who order and make it appear like ‘you’ are the only one to be getting this amazing offer. They never send the promised prize(though some do send “cheap” goods to keep the victim on the “hook”) Instead they send out more promises to get more orders!
Watch the DVD about catalogue scams on the “Your Stories” page
They are forever coming up with new and more convincing scams so it’s important to be vigilant both for you and loved ones.
NB. Scammers send authentic looking scam mail from Banks & Building Societies asking for personal information and/or cash. It’s more prolific via email, called phishing, but it’s still being sent out via the post.